Friday, January 6, 2012

Super Glue

There was this one time when I was a kid where I was trying to fix one of my G.I. Joe's that had broken in half with some good old fashioned super glue. I'd seen my parents use it all the time and knew exactly what to do. I just had to put the glue on, push on the broken parts and hold it together for a few minutes and it was all good. What I failed to realize is that super glue sticks to your skin as easily as it does to objects, so being a kid I put a little too much glue on and after I tried to let go, I realized my fingers were stuck to the toy. It was all back together, but it had a few added parts. Being a guy I did the only thing I knew how to do, scream like a girl and run to mom. She knew just what to do and within a few tense moments I was free and my G.I. Joe was saved.

You know as Christ followers we should have some very similar stories. In 2 Corinthians 5:18-20 it says that we have been given the ministry and the message or reconciliation. Meaning, Christ is the super glue that fixes the broken relationships people have with God, and we are those fingers that help hold it together while the glue sets. When we reconcile people to God it isn't a one moment event, but a process, reconciliation takes time and discipleship. The amazing thing is, when we let go of those fingers we'll find that we're still a little "stuck" to the person we were helping, and in this case that's alright. That's the beauty of doing what Christ has called us to, it affects us too!

Your challenge today is to think of someone that really has a broken relationship with God and begin to think of some ways you can be the reconcilor that Christ has called you to be in their lives and then implement one.

Here's your group question:

What are some ways you can help restore and reconcile people's lives to God? This will also help people who may struggle with the challenge.

5 comments:

  1. My guess is that a person's relationship with God is most likely damaged by another individual. It is the human element that needs to be fixed. In the same context, we need to reach people and distinguish the difference between God and people. God always loves. We need to contnually point people to God and not us!

    -Paul Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend the book, Bait of Satan, by John Bevere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Paul! Tthank you for sharing that. A person's relationship with God comes down to a human element with a person. There is something lacking that we try to fill with things that leave us unfulfilled. Nothing fills us like the love of Christ and being in relationship with Christ. We learn continually through life how we will "survive" in this life. Often we graduate high school and think "ok, now its my time to get on with life and figure this out" while using, oftentimes, bad programming (meaning the influences that have shaped us is corrupt). When one comes to a point that they realize they want something more from life and that something cannot be found in by worldly means are we able to let go and begin to let God in.
    So how do you help restore and reconcile people? Each situation will be different. Most of the time, when I listen I can hear the hurt or disappointments of in someone's voice. People like to talk about themselves. So if I am out and about where I do not know anyone I might ask a person if they arefrom this area, what they do as a profession, or if they go to church. That gets them talking and then I introduce myself so they can introduce themselves. People also love to hear their names so by asking someone’s name I can use it in conversation.
    Throughout the conversation I might openly give thanks for something by saying, “Thank God.” This enables me to check for the reaction to see if someone runs the opposite direction or is open to the mere mention of God. If someone expresses a concern I ask to pray with them. Rarely do I get an no response.
    If I know the person I try to be as frank and honest about what I can see through their behaviors and talk. I have a friend now who I am talking with and sharing how his past hurts prohibit him from being all he is created to be. I told him he needs to deal with his past. I have shared with him about Jesus’ story and how I have grown due to my relationship with Christ. I shared how empty and lost I was without Him.
    I have learned I cannot make someone do something. I can and must share the truth with people. God will do the rest. I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 3:6 where some plant the seed, some water it, and God grows it. God is in control and His desire is to see all people saved (1 Timothy 2:3-4)! We, as Christians, are Christ’s ambassadors, his hands and feet on earth. We have all power and authority to overcome all the power of the enemy. The Lord said nothing will harm you (Luke 10:19). We are called to act, to do not just to enjoy our salvation for ourselves (this is not in scripture anywhere).
    Be confident because the Lord has gone before you and prepared the way (Deuteronomy 31:8, Mark 1:2)!

    ReplyDelete