Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Do You Bleed?

I remember as a kid this sports movie I watched, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, but I do remember this one scene that has kind of stuck out to me. One of the players on the football team got severely hurt during the game and was carted off before halftime. At halftime the team was losing by a huge margin, and the coach pulls the team aside and gives them the standard halftime speech, expect it wasn't the standard halftime speech. The coach looks at all his players and asks them a totally weird question, he says, "Are you bleeding right now?" He then goes on to tell them that one of their teammates is hurt, injured, and that a true teammate bleeds when one goes down. When one hurts we all hurt. He encouraged them to go out on the field and bleed for their teammate. Sounds kind of gross right?

I wonder though how many of us bleed when we see someone at our schools or neighborhood that is hurting? Do we hurt with them? Do we hurt for them? Does our heart break like God's does when He sees his children in pain? As John said this past Wednesday, are we moved with compassion for those around us? Do you even see their pain in your everyday life? Sometimes we can become so desensitized to the world around us that we don't even notice anymore. Those creepy words from that coach in the movie still haunt my brain, "are you bleeding?".

My challenge to you today? Start looking at the people around you, the ones you skip past every day, the ones that don't matter to you as much. Don't just breeze by in the lunch room, but look for the hurting, the ones in pain, and ask yourself, do I hurt for them? That question just might start changing everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment